Bring back the cheese log
We put on morning teas of epic proportions to celebrate birthdays, engagements, up and coming births and the occasional sad farewell. It’s always a special celebration when Nicola brings in her famous cheese log. She’s been kind enough to share with us her recipe which is fortunately super-easy but be warned, it’s highly addictive! Here are Nicola’s words about this office favourite:
This recipe is a culmination of a number of recipes discovered online and one particularly well-loved recipe my mum makes, in fact one she has made for as many pre-Christmas dinner nibbles as I can remember. However a recipe like this can really be enjoyed at any time. There is just something about the savoury mix of flavours that makes it irresistible – once you start eating it you can’t stop! Enjoy!
Makes 2 rounds or logs
- 250g traditional cream cheese
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tomato relish (I use Cerebos brand)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds/poppy seeds/toasted sesame seeds/chopped parsley
- Crackers, grapes and wine to serve
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- 2. Shape into ball or log shapes. I spoon mixture onto a piece of cling film, wrap it and then shape it.
- 3. Place cheese in the fridge for at least half an hour to firm.
- 4. Remove from the cling film and then roll in whichever coating you have chosen.
- 5. Serve with crackers, grapes and wine.