Grilled nectarine and rosemary frangipane tart
I first made this recipe in late summer, as part of an experiment using indirect cooking on the grill (BBQ). I used a terracotta saucer as a pie dish which really worked a treat, crisping up the pastry perfectly. Searing the nectarines caramelises them slightly, bringing out their natural sweetness.
Since we are now in the depths of a Southern winter, I made this again last night indoors, baking at 180 °C and swapping out the nectarines for very finely sliced persimmons layered over the top of the frangipane filling. A great winter twist!
Whichever fruit you choose, the addition a little finely chopped rosemary to the frangipane filling adds a great savoury note. And as always, good quality store-bought short crust pastry works great if you’re in a hurry – simply blind bake and chill as below.
- 65g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 130g flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp water
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Finely grated zest ½ an orange
- 140g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 nectarines, halved and lightly charred (cut side down) on the grill
- 1. Blend the very cold butter with the icing sugar and flour in a food processor.
- 2. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolk with the water.
- 3. Slowly pulse the egg yolk mixture into the butter and flour mixture. Mix until it just comes together, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead a little to form a ball.
- 4. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled, preheat grill to roughly 180°C by turning burners onto medium-high and keeping hood closed.
- 5. Roll pastry out to approximately 3mm thick and use to line a 26cm terracotta pot base. Chill in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- 6. Place on the grill, away from lit burners. Turn burners to med-low, close hood and blind bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the grill, and chill.
- 1. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and then fold through chopped rosemary, orange zest, ground almonds and flour.
- 2. Fill tart shell, smoothing out to an even thickness.
- 3. Press grilled nectarine halves into frangipane, skin side up.
- 4. Place on the grill, away from lit burners. With burners set to med-low, close hood and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until filling is set and pastry golden.