Israeli couscous with apricots, lemon and chicken
Weeknight cooking for my partner and I is frequently motivated by convenience. Not microwavable, TV dinner convenience, but simple dishes using quality ingredients that pack plenty of flavour. I like dishes I can create using things commonly found in my pantry, plus a few fresh veggies and herbs from the garden. A mix of sweet and tart apricots, sharp lemon and creamy pine nuts make this dish a real winner.
It really is super easy – the key is to prep the veggies while you leave the chicken to marinate for a few minutes. Then simply grill the chicken while you simmer the couscous, whack it all together and hey presto chicken dinner!
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 500g chicken tenderloins, trimmed and sliced in half lengthways
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock, heated
- ½ cup dried apricots, diced – a mix of sweet and tart apricots is nice
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Unsweetened yoghurt to serve
- 1. Mix marinade ingredients together and massage into chicken pieces. Set aside while you prepare the other vegetables.
- 2. In a medium-sized saucepan, fry the onion in a little olive oil until soft. Add the couscous and apricot pieces and stir to coat. Fry for a minute or two, and then pour over the hot stock. Simmer for 10 -12 minutes, until al dente.
- 3. While the couscous is cooking, heat a large, heavy-based frying pan and cook chicken pieces.
- 4. Once cooked, remove couscous from heat and mix through pine nuts, parsley, lemon zest and juice, and cherry tomatoes. Season to taste.
- 5. To serve create a bed of the couscous mix on each plate, top with chicken pieces and a good dollop of unsweetened yoghurt.