Olive oil crackers
It is comforting to know exactly what goes into the things we eat. For me, the less processed and refined the better. For a while now I have thought about making my own crackers as the store bought ones are more often than not full of preservatives and saturated fats, two things which I can quite happily do without. These crackers are really easy to make – especially with the aid of a pasta maker! Get creative with them and experiment with adding herbs/spices/seeds either to the dough itself, or sprinkle over the crackers before you bake them.
- 200g white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 115ml water
- 25ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- flaky sea salt, herbs, spices, seeds – for sprinkling over crackers
- 1. Combine the flour, oil, salt and spices and knead until it all comes together and is smooth. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour to an hour.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 220°C on bake. Divide the dough into four pieces and either roll out as thin as you can with a rolling pin, or work through a pasta maker to the finest setting.
- 3. Cut into desired shapes and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with toppings. Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 6 – 7 minutes or until golden. Store in an airtight container.