Paleo Chocolate Crunch
Our kitchen is the central focus of our product development center, it is the hub where we meet, eat and entertain. People are constantly coming and going on their way from A to B via the coffee machines and en-route will stop to say hello and have a chat about whatever attempt at culinary alchemy I have going on. A couple of weeks ago I filled the office with the nutty and chocolatey aroma of this little gem over it’s slow 4 hours of gently baking to a crisp. That afternoon I was repeatedly accused (in good jest of course) of torturing the entire office. The poor engineers, drooling all over their keyboards!
The invention passed the toddler test with flying colours and despite promising a sample to some of those tortured souls Sara and I have devoured the entire (and very large) jar full of this delicious protein packed chocolatey goodness. We sat the jar perfectly on the intersection of our desks and scoffed the lot served up in small handfuls straight into the gob.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter (clarified to be strictly Paleo)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 1. Preheat your oven to 100°C.
- 2. Using a food processor, coarsely chop the walnuts and almonds.
- 3. In a small saucepan over low heat, cook the dates with the water until they form a chunky paste.
- 4. Add the butter and honey to the dates and gently stir until the mixture is melted and cohesive.
- 5. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt and stir together.
- 6. Pour the chocolate mixture into the nuts and seeds in the food processor. Pulse briefly, just to combine then stir in the coconut by hand.
- 7. Spread the mixture out over a baking sheet and bake for 3-4 hours until nice and crunchy.
- 8. Once the chocolate crunch has finished baking, remove it from the oven and stir through the chocolate.
- 9. Cool and store in an airtight container.