At this time of year in Dunedin the days are long – tonight the sun will not set until close to 9:30 – so there is plenty of time after work for entertaining. A little light and summery drink made with fresh peaches, this is the perfect thing to sip with friends while you watch the sun slowly drop below the horizon on these long languid January evenings.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 ripe peaches
- 750ml Prosecco
- Ice and fresh mint leaves to serve
- 1. Place sugar, water and vanilla bean and scrapings into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add peaches. Cook until very soft (5-10 minutes depending on ripeness of fruit), remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 2. Remove vanilla pod, and then using an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree until very smooth. Sieve into a jug, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3. To serve, pour around 40ml of peach syrup into chilled glasses, add a little ice and a mint leaf. Top with Prosecco and enjoy!