Pear, blue cheese and pinenut filo parcels
The classic combination of blue cheese with pear gets a smoky infusion from the barbeque in these filo pastry parcels. They are the perfect appetizer for your next summer party served alongside a cheeky glass of wine.
- 2 firm pears – we used Nellis
- 12 filo pastry sheets
- Melted butter to brush filo sheets
- 40g rocket
- 250g blue cheese
- 70g pinenuts, lightly toasted
- Olive oil
- 1.Core and very finely slice the pear (a mandoline is great for this)
- 2. Lay out a sheet of filo pastry. Keep other sheets covered with a damp tea towel while you work to prevent the filo from drying out.
- 3. Brush filo with a little melted butter; lay on 5 or 6 rocket leaves and top with another sheet of filo.
- 4. Lay a few slices of pear on one end of the pastry, crumble over blue cheese, and sprinkle with pinenuts.
- 5. Fold up to create a rectangular parcel, brush with a little more melted butter, and cover with a damp tea towel. Repeat until all six parcels are ready.
- 6. Preheat barbeque hotplate to a medium heat and cook in a little olive oil for 4-5 minutes each side, until golden and crispy.