These are a fantastic way to enjoy delicious cherries at any time of year. Pickling cherries requires no special equipment, is so quick and easy. These beauties are excellent as an unusual addition to an antipasto platter, delicious in a red wine gravy, and perfect as a quick snack with a couple of slices of your favourite cheese.
- 600g Sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 8 Bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 900ml white wine vinegar
- 1kg firm cherries
- 1. In a large pot bring sugar, cloves, bay leaves, rosemary and vinegar to the boil.
- 2. Simmer gently for 10 minutes to infuse the vinegar.
- 3. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
- 4. Pack cherries (stalks intact) into sterilised jars, discarding any that are split or bruised.
- 5. Cover with the spiced vinegar, fill to the brim.
- 6. Seal with a vinegar-proof lid.
- 7. Leave for 2 weeks before eating.