Roasted Fennel and Currants with Honey
Inevitably everyone has one of those days where life just gives you a pummelling. The ‘food hug’ is a personal go-to flavour that lets you take a small win during stressful times. For many it’s something sweet; a piece of chocolate or cake. For me, its anise or something sharp and bitter.
Fennel is an amazing herb that I’ve only recently begun capitalising on. Add a dash of honey, currants and melted cheese to the mix and this tartine provides a sweet substitute to any vending machine material. For an extra kick I like to add a heavy dose of hot sauce.
Serves 2 Jordans
- 1/2 bulb fennel, thickly cut
- 80g mozzarella
- 1/3 cup currants
- 4 slices ciabatta, thickly cut
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh honey
- Habanero hot sauce
- Coarse sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C
- 2. Toss the fennel and currants with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking tray and place in the oven for 20minutes, or until the fennel is tender and slightly browned.
- 3. In a pan on medium heat pour the remaining oil and toast the bread on both sides till crisp.
- 4. To assemble, layer a thick slice of mozzarella on the ciabatta and place the current and fennel on top. Drizzle with honey and add a dash of hot sauce to taste.