sausage and lentils
This is my kind of comfort food; food you can always turn to, that is easy to prepare, looks after itself and is satisfying to eat! And, with the added bonus of the whole meal being cooked in one pot it’s easy clean up too. Put a rug on your knee and eat it straight from the pot – it’s the best, not even a plate to clean.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 pork sausages
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika (add as much as you like)
- 3 sprigs of sage
- 250g lentils
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 120ml red wine
- 1. In a heavy pan, heat the oil, add the sausages and brown evenly on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- 2. Add the peppers, onions and garlic, fry until the onions have softened, add the paprika and sage then fry for a couple more minutes.
- 3. Add the lentils, vegetable stock and red wine. Deglaze the pan, add the sausages back to the pot and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.