Strawberry & rose water kulfi
This is cheats kulfi. The original version is far more labour intensive and involves gently simmering sweetened, flavoured milk until it evaporates by half leaving a thickened, very dense ice-cream. In this version all the hard work is done for you by using sweetened condensed milk. Just in time for summer this kulfi is flavoured with strawberries and rose water which tint this dessert a soft pink and lend to it a subtle perfume. Tipped from their little moulds and rolled in chopped pistachio nuts it really does make for one pretty summer dessert.
Makes 12 small ice-creams
- 400g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 300ml cream, softly whipped
- 1 punnet strawberries
- ice-cream sticks
- 50g pistachios, finely chopped
- 1. Hull the strawberries and blend with a stick blender until smooth. Pass the pureed strawberries through a fine sieve to remove the seeds.
- 2. Place the sweetened condensed milk into a bowl, add the rosewater and beat to combine. Lastly gently fold in the whipped cream and pureed strawberries.
- 3. Pour kulfi mixture into moulds of desired shapes/sizes. Place in the freezer and once mixture begins to stiffen add in the ice-cream sticks.