This is one of those fantastic go-to recipes, perfect for the holiday season when lazy days are spent at the beach and little energy is left to think about or execute dinner plans! It is very quick and easy to prepare and served with rice and steamed veges makes a healthy meal, an ideal remedy for the inevitable Christmas over-indulgence!
I have made it without the miren as most of those available contain MSG which I prefer to avoid.
- 50g sugar
- 150ml cooking sake
- 150ml soy sauce
- 8 chicken thighs, skin and bones removed
- Flour for dusting
- 1. Combine the sugar, sake and soy sauce in a saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the liquid has halved in volume and has become thick and syrupy.
- 2. Cut any fatty bits off the chicken then coat with flour. This can be done either on a plate, or by filling a zip-lock bag with flour, placing the chicken in the bag and shaking it around to ensure it is fully covered.
- 3. Place a small amount of oil in a frying pan and set over medium high heat, once hot, add the chicken and brown on both sides. Turn down the heat and add the teriyaki sauce, place a lid on the frying pan and cook until the chicken has cooked through and the sauce is thick.
- 4. Serve with rice and if desired garnish with coriander and sesame seeds.