For the beef:
1. Cut beef into 5cm x 5cm cubes and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan (with a lid) and in batches, brown the piece of meat on all sides. Set aside once browned.
3. In the same pan add another 2 tbsp olive oil and 1tbsp butter. Sautee the onions, parsnip and carrots until tender.
4. Stir in the tomato paste, chopped herbs, beef stock and red wine and stir continuously for 2 minutes until smooth.
5. Add the beef and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and leave to cook gently for approximately 3 hours or until the meat is flaky and tender.
For the polenta:
1. Approximately 1 ½ hours before the meat has finished cooking you can start the polenta. Heat the water in a large saucepan and once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and slowly add the polenta in a stream, whisking continuously until smooth.
2. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring the polenta frequently, until the grains are cooked through.
3. Stir through the butter and grated parmesan and transfer to a greased dish. Smooth over the top and leave for 1 hour or so until the polenta has set.
4. Once set, cut into strips approximately 3cm wide and 10cm long.
5. Place polenta slices on each plate and top with the boeuf bourguignon.