Creamy bacon carbonara
This recipe was kindly given to us by Pete, one of our lovely engineers and without a doubt F&P’s finest barrista! Today is Pete’s first day back at work after 5 weeks away in Europe. This morning I got a brief run-down on how his trip went, however I am yet to interrogate him about the beautiful food he sampled on his travels. I think I’ll have to corner him next time he comes in to make one of his fantastic coffees.
Over to Pete.
If I had to choose a favourite type of pasta it would definitely be fettuccini for 2 reasons, firstly it’s substantial. I must always be really hungry when I make this dish so I like that when you load up your fork you get a full solid mouthful, it’s not half air like penne or macaroni, and it stays on the fork better than spaghetti. Secondly it works really well with rich creamy sauces, what could be better!
Pasta alla Carbonara is based on eggs, cheese, pork and pepper and a key feature is that it relies on the heat of the pasta to cook the eggs.
This recipe makes use of easy to source ingredients, is super easy to make and tastes fantastic. Enjoy!
8 – 10 rashers bacon
s & p
chopped parsley to serve
1. Cut the bacon into 1cm strips and fry over a medium heat.
2. Place the fettuccini into a pot of salted, boiling water and cook until al dente
3. In the mean time, once the bacon is cooked add the cream and salt and pepper to the pan and simmer to reduce until thick and creamy.
4. Whisk together the egg and parmesan
5. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add it to the pan and stir it through the cream sauce.
6. Finally, add the egg and parmesan to the pan and stir again.
7. Serve immediately garnished with parsley.