I made this salad on Christmas day to serve alongside a barbequed rack of lamb and – excuse me while I pat myself on the back – it was good! Fresh, sweet, salty, tart, it combines some great seasonal produce with the fabulous, fry-able Haloumi cheese. It even looks festive – the bright, pinky-red pomegranate seeds are like little jewels sprinkled through the deep green bed of rocket. It will be making a regular appearance at my dinner table this summer.
Haloumi, rocket and pomegranate salad
Juice of 2 lemons
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
200g strawberries, finely sliced
200g cherry tomatoes, quartered
Seeds from one medium-sized pomegranate
100g wild rocket leaves
Half a French stick
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g Haloumi cheese, drained and sliced 1cm thick
Pre-heat oven to 180°C on Bake
1. To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and sugar until combined. Season to taste.
2. Combine strawberries, cherry tomatoes, pomegranate seeds and rocket in a large bowl, and set aside.
3. Tear the bread up into bite-sized pieces and place into an oven-proof dish.
4. Melt the butter and oil together in the microwave, then add in the garlic. Pour the butter mixture over the torn bread and massage with your fingers until all the bread is coated.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, until the croutons are golden brown and crunchy.
6. Meanwhile fry Haloumi pieces in a little olive oil over a medium heat until deep golden on each side.
7. Immediately before serving, pour half the dressing over the salad along with half the croutons, and toss to coat. Top with leftover croutons, Haloumi pieces and pour over the remaining dressing.
- Whittaker's Chocolate
- spelt flour
- rye flour
- Rice & Grains
- Pulses & Legumes
- Pasta & Noodles
- Nuts & Seeds
- ice cream
- Green tomatoes
- full cream milk
- Fish & Seafood
- Dutch process cocoa