Pear, blue cheese and pinenut filo parcels
The classic combination of blue cheese with pear gets a smoky infusion from the barbeque in these filo pastry parcels. They are the perfect appetizer for your next summer party served alongside a cheeky glass of wine.
2 firm pears – we used Nellis
12 filo pastry sheets
Melted butter to brush filo sheets
250g blue cheese
70g pinenuts, lightly toasted
1.Core and very finely slice the pear (a mandoline is great for this)
2. Lay out a sheet of filo pastry. Keep other sheets covered with a damp tea towel while you work to prevent the filo from drying out.
3. Brush filo with a little melted butter; lay on 5 or 6 rocket leaves and top with another sheet of filo.
4. Lay a few slices of pear on one end of the pastry, crumble over blue cheese, and sprinkle with pinenuts.
5. Fold up to create a rectangular parcel, brush with a little more melted butter, and cover with a damp tea towel. Repeat until all six parcels are ready.
6. Preheat barbeque hotplate to a medium heat and cook in a little olive oil for 4-5 minutes each side, until golden and crispy.