Spiced BBQ Lamb
We are just coming into some warmer weather down here in New Zealand so it’s a perfect time to enjoy some fresh spring Lamb. So wake your barbeque from its winter slumber, give it a good dusting off and crank up the heat.
What better way to treat your lamb than dressing it with a spicy paprika coating then sear in all the juices over a hot grill.
Paprika has to be one of my favourite spices especially the Spanish version; it gives dishes great depth with its rich smoky flavour.
This spicy lamb dish combines well with the fresh tangy flavours of Lauren’s Israeli couscous hit with a splash of lemon and sprinkled with some creamy pine nuts!
8 lamb cutlets
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika (hot)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp chilli powder
Juice of one lemon
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1. Using a pestle and mortar grind all the dry spices to a fine powder
2. Add the garlic and mash to a paste.
3. Add oil and lemon juice and blend into a smooth paste.
4. Rub each cutlet with the mixture and place them on one layer in a tray, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a couple of hours, or overnight is better.
5. Preheat your grill, remove the lamb cutlets from the wrap, brush olive oil on both sides of each cutlet, and then grill for 3 to 4 minutes perside.
6. Allow cutlets to rest for a few minutes before serving
7. To serve create a bed of the couscous mix on each plate, top with the spicy lamb cutlets, and a little more flat parsley leaves