What is up with vegetarian bacon? I just can’t get my head around the idea. Fakin bacon just isn’t that cool. Vegie burgers on the other hand are the real deal, and the possibilities are endless. This little number is subtly spiced and served up with some refreshing yoghurt sauce and sweet mango chutney. The best thing is that it’s packed with goodness so you might as well have those fries on the side!
Spiced Vegie Burger
Spiced veggie burgers
2 all purpose potatoes
400g pumpkin (we used buttercup)
1 400g can chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp mustard seeds
4 tbsp oil
½ cup chopped coriander
Flour to dust patties
Finely shredded carrot
Finely shredded beetroot
Yoghurt and Mint Sauce
1 ½ cups greek yoghurt
½ cup finely chopped mint
½ telegraph cucumber, deseeded and finely diced
1. Peel and dice potatoes, kumara and pumpkin into 1cm cubes.
2. Place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil over high heat and boil. After 5 minutes add in the pumpkin and cook till just tender.
3. Drain and allow to cool slightly.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over med-high heat, add spices, garlic and ginger and cook whilst stirring for 1minute.
5. Add potato, kumara, pumpkin and chickpeas into the pan and mix together breaking up the chickpeas slightly. Add chopped corriander and season to taste. Transfer mix to a bowl and allow to cool.
6. Form patties and dust lightly with flour.
7. Heat remaining oil in pan and cook patties over a medium heat till golden on both sides.
8. For mint yoghurt sauce, combine all ingredients and season to taste.
9. Split burger buns and warm in the oven if desired.
10. Top bun bases with carrot, beetroot, mint yoghurt sauce, vegie pattie and chutney.
11. Sandwich together and serve immediately.
- Whittaker's Chocolate
- spelt flour
- rye flour
- Rice & Grains
- Pulses & Legumes
- Pasta & Noodles
- Nuts & Seeds
- ice cream
- Green tomatoes
- full cream milk
- Fish & Seafood
- Dutch process cocoa