Sweet and sour rice salad
This salad is from Laura, my fellow product evaluator here at F&P. I can see why it’s such a hit with her family; the flavours are powerful and the colours pop! Here is Laura’s description of her heirloom recipe:
This tasty brown rice salad has become my Auntie’s signature dish and is a regular and anticipated feature of all our family get togethers, which always involve food! Traditionally it comes out at Christmas time and any leftovers are always in hot demand at picnics in the days following. The mixture of brown rice, with a selection of peppers, onions, corn, nuts, raisins and a delicious curry flavoured dressing combine to make one simple yet delicious salad. The good thing about it is that you can customise it to suit your tastes, adding more or less of the ingredients you do and don’t like. The nuts and raisins are my favourite additions and I always add extra to the mix. I hope you enjoy this scrumptious salad and over time make it your own.
2 c brown rice
1 c sultanas
1 c unsalted roasted peanuts
1 c canned corn kernals, drained
3 spring onions, finely sliced
¼ c fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 onion, chopped
¼ c white vinegar
½ c cooking oil
½ tsp salt
1. Boil the rice for approximately 30 minutes (or follow manufacturer’s instructions). Then drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Heat 1tbsp cooking oil in a pan. Add onion and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
3. Add the curry powder to the onions and cook for a further 1 minute. Cool.
4. Combine the onion and curry mixture with the remaining dressing ingredients.
5. Combine the cooled rice with the sultanas, peanuts, corn, spring onion and parsley.
6. To serve, fold the dressing through the rice salad.