1. Combine the cream and vanilla pods with their scrapings in a medium sized pot, bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 20 minutes.
2. Re-boil the cream mix, meanwhile whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar, slowly pour the hot cream mix whilst mixing into the egg mix.
3. Strain and pour into ramekins.
4. Cook in a bain marie (a large roast dish filled with water, be careful not to overfill usually ½ to ¾ up the side of the brulee moulds will do the trick) at 160°C covered with foil for one hour or until set. Refrigerate and then serve.
5. To serve sprinkle caster sugar over the custard, pour off excess, ensure all of the custard is covered. Either caramelize with a blow torch or put into an ice bath and caramelize it under the grill.