Zucchini and goat’s cheese tart
Words by Margie Cooney of The Denizen.
For this session of Denizen in the Kitchen with F&P, our Account Manager, Cara Allan, saw fit to prepare a delightful little tart for us to share over Friday afternoon tea.
Making good use of our well-equipped office kitchen, it offered the perfect opportunity to try out the dedicated pastry bake function on our Fisher & Paykel oven — a setting that ensured the delicate filo was cooked evenly and its base remained crisp.
Encased in a delicate, flaky crust and with generous dollops of flavoursome goat’s cheese, the tart was a total hit, seeing us happily through to the other side of the afternoon lull. An indulgent bite that’s much easier to make than it looks, we outline the simple steps for whipping one up at home.
150g butter (melted)
12 sheets of filo pastry
8 zucchini (grated)
1 1/2 cups of pouring cream
300g soft goat’s cheese
Sea salt and cracked pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Brush the base of a 30cm x 40cm baking dish with melted butter.
2. Layer the dish with the filo sheets, brushing with butter in between each layer, before topping with grated zucchini.
3. Place the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
4. Carefully pour mixture over the zucchini and top with spoonfuls of the goat’s cheese.
5. Place the dish on a baking tray and bake for 45-50 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving with an optional side of tomato relish.