Zucchini Loaf with Honey Mascarpone
For a long time I really hated Zucchini, served to me as a child… horrendously over cooked and soggy, adorning a plate of roast. Oh, the ways I would try and get around it; most notably by saving it for last, hiding it in my mouth then running it off to spit it in the toilet.
This recipe takes it to another level, gone are the soggy Zucchinis of the past. It’s so good that I might give them another chance!
Did you know that Zucchini is an outstanding source of manganese and Vitamin C? So with this delectable recipe for a classic slightly sweet Zucchini Bread you can get the best of both worlds. With an extremely subtle taste of Zucchini, it’s easy to trick the little ones to eat their vegetables! We paired this with a luxuriously creamy honey mascarpone and ribbons of fresh Zucchini which add a fresh kick to the moist bread. This is extremely versatile product, so can be enjoyed at any time. In the lunchbox, paired with hot drink or even at a picnic.
Makes 2 loaves--
3 medium zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Vanilla Paste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and grease 2x 20cm by 10cm loaf tin.
2. Wash the zucchini and grate 2 of them into a mixing bowl, use a vegetable peeler to peel long ribbons of zucchini, keep these ribbons for presentation.
3. In one mixing bowl: Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, olive oil, and vanilla essence.
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and toss through the grated zucchini. Gently stir and fold just until no more flour is visible. Divide the batter between the two loaf pans
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
6. While the loaves are cooling; mix mascarpone, honey and vanilla paste into a cream. Thinly slice the loaf, spread on your desired amount of mascarpone topping and finish with a few ribbons of zucchini.